Paço da Rainha
Designed by the architect João Antunes, the Paço da Bemposta and its chapel, date back to the beginning of the 18th century and were built under the orders of D. Catarina de Bragança, wife of Charles II of England and daughter of King João IV. The chapel, dedicated to Our Lady of the Conception, was deeply damaged during the earthquake of 1755. Its reconstruction was in charge of the architect Manuel Caetano de Sousa, having been built almost from scratch, but respecting the original framing. Since the middle of the 19th century, the palace hosts the Escola do Exército, currently Military Academy, and the chapel was reopened for worship.