Alameda D. Afonso Henriques
A 1947 design by the architect Cassiano Branco, the Cinema Império opened in 1952, and is regarded as a great example of architecture from the “Estado Novo”. The building includes a café-restaurant with an entrance in the Avenida Almirante Reis named Café Império, which inaugurated in 1955, and received a “studio-room” in 1964. After closing in the 90’s, it was purchased in 1992 by the Igreja Universal do Reino de Deus, to install its temple there. This resulted in the removal of the armillary spheres that crowned the luminous towers that framed the main facade. It is classified as a property of public interest.